OSU football journal: Iowa State defense similar with more blitzing
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State will see a familiar looking defense on the other side of the field when it faces Iowa State at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Ames, televised by FS1.
Last week’s opponent, Baylor, modeled its defense after what Iowa State began having success with when Matt Campbell came in.
But OSU coach Mike Gundy says the Cyclones have changed their attitude this season, though not their schemes.
“To a certain extent, Iowa State is more blitz this year,” Gundy said. “Iowa State is considerably more zone pressure. They still have the shell that they live in, but they’ve adjusted some.
“But we’re seeing all the same three-down (front). There’s not hardly any teams at all that are playing four-down. That structure is very similar each week.”
The Cowboys allowed only two sacks against Baylor, but will be further challenged by Iowa State’s blitzing packages.
More opportunities coming for McCray?
Oklahoma State receiver Jordan McCray has caught two touchdown passes in the last two games, and the 6-foot-6 senior graduate transfer should continue to get targeted in the coming weeks.
- Related to this story
- Gallery: OSU crumbles against Baylor, 45-27
- Article: Recap: Baylor 45, OSU 27
- Article: OSU football: Five takeaways from the Cowboys' homecoming loss to Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Turnover numbers once again tell the story
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys' grades reflect poor fourth-quarter play
- Article: OSU football: Defense falters late in loss to No. 18 Baylor
- Article: OSU football: LD Brown delivers with long TD run
- Article: OSU football: Tom Hutton shows off arm with fake punt
- Article: OSU football: Jelani Woods gets more involved
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys collapse in homecoming loss to Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys at a crossroads after 4th-quarter debacle
- Article: OSU football journal: Cowboys' defense falters late in loss to No. 18 Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Throwback uniforms, Mason Rudolph, penalties highlight best, worst of loss to Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Late penalties hurt Cowboys in loss to Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Malcolm Rodriguez forces, recovers fumble in loss to Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Chuba Hubbard working to lift up Spencer Sanders
- Article: OSU football: Iowa State scouting report, time, TV, radio, odds
- Article: OSU football: Early down defense is crippling Cowboys lately
- Article: OSU football journal: Hubbard working to lift up Sanders
- Article: OSU football: Kickoff set for TCU game
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys' pressure on Baylor's Charlie Brewer not enough
- Article: OSU football: Mike Gundy points to 'coaching errors' against Baylor
- Article: OSU football: Spencer Sanders searching for rare perfection
- Article: OSU football: A.J. Green named semifinalist for Thorpe Award
- Article: Sooners' Kenneth Murray: Lack of turnovers 'a huge disappointment'
- Article: OU football: Creed Humphrey, Neville Gallimore making each other better
- Article: OSU coach Mike Gundy on his program: 'We're not in a corner'
- Article: OU football: With Jon-Michael Terry out, Nik Bonitto's role grows further
- Article: Berry Tramel: LSU stays No. 1, but Penn State moves up to No. 2
- Article: Bedlam in October: Oklahoma's 2020 football schedule announced
- Article: Thursday opener, October Bedlam on 2020 OSU football schedule
- Article: Berry Tramel: Analyzing the 2020 OU and OSU football schedules
- Video: OSU Football: Amen Ogbongbemiga
- Video: Sooner Schooner tumbles
- Video: OSU football: The State of O-State football
- Video: OU Football: 2020 Schedule released
- Video: OU Football: Bonitto could step into Terry's role
- Video: OU Football: Hall talks offense
- Video: OU Football: Murray on defensive performance
- Video: OU football: Hurts talks West Virginia and Kansas State
- Video: OSU Football: Gundy reviews loss to Baylor
- Video: OSU Football: Gundy talks 2020 recruiting class
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts vs WVU
- Video: OU Football: Good day for the Sooners
- Video: OSU Football: Malcolm Rodriguez vs Baylor
- Video: OSU Football: Chuba Hubbard vs Baylor
- Video: OSU Football: Mike Gundy on loss to Baylor
- Video: OU Football: Lincoln Riley vs WVU
- Video: OU Football: Alex Grinch vs WVU
- Video: OU Football: Kenneth Murray vs WVU
- Video: OSU Football: Cowboys fall to Baylor
OSU tried twice to throw to him in jump-ball situations in the red zone, one of which he caught, though the other was intercepted.
But with the continual effort by defenses to limit OSU star Tylan Wallace, McCray will keep getting looks on the opposite side of the field, where he often finds himself in single coverage.
“I know it sounds like armchair quarterbacking, but they are putting two guys on (Wallace),” offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson said. “When people play man-to-man, we’re seeing now that there's help over the top on Tylan. So that leaves Jordan, who’s a big tall drink of water, over there by himself.
“We're going to keep turning up to that kid if the coverage presents itself like it did (Saturday).”
Gundy on Australian punter Tom Hutton’s pass to Dayton Metcalf on a successful fake punt vs. Baylor: “It was well planned. It was prepared well. Patience is key in fakes, and the Aussie dumped one up there. He had kind of a run-jump-throw. I'm not sure where it came from, but it was a heck of a throw and it worked good. You know, if you look at the big picture of things, that should have been the difference in winning the game, because we got an extra possession. But it ended up not being that way, because we turned it over and gave up two big plays.”
Scott Wright, Staff writer